How to make Apache (2.2.4) less greedy, or Sendmail less polite?

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Fri May 4 09:22:41 UTC 2007

Olaf Greve wrote:

>   PID USERNAME        PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU
> COMMAND
> 91459 www             124    0   141M 15136K RUN      0:02  5.52%  5.52%
> httpd
> 91352 www             119    0   139M 12596K select   0:14  3.61%  3.61%
> httpd

The size of apache processes is telling me you're using PHP or some
other heavy apache module. If so, you can switch to using PHP as FastCGI
responder via mod_fcgid. The benefits are that you'll get only a few
number of large php-cgi processes (configurable, usually around 10), and
the rest will be lighter httpd processes for serving static content.

BUT, if something else changed when you switched to the new apache (e.g.
PHP version, your web applications), it may not be apache's fault.