Why is 6.2-RELEASE/packages/Latest/ not latest enough?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu May 3 17:06:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 02:01:53PM +0200, Stevan Tiefert wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.05.2007, 15:28 +0400 schrieb Andrew Pantyukhin:
> > On 5/3/07, Stevan Tiefert <stevan_tiefert at yahoo.de> wrote:
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > I have installed via pkg_add -r various packages for my 6.2-RELEASE. I
> > > have recognized that on this way I will not get always the newest
> > > package.
> >
> > You only get the packages compiled during the release
> > process. Newer packages are only built for 6-stable and
> > 7-current. The hard truth is that we don't have enough
> > human/hardware resources to keep 6.2 packages up-to-date.
>
> That is not that I mean!
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/6.2-RELEASE/packages/editors/openoffice.org-2.0.4.tbz
> exists. But the Link:
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/6.2-RELEASE/packages/Latest/openoffice.org.tbz
> is linked with
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/6.2-RELEASE/packages/All/openoffice.org-1.1.5_2.tbz
>
> It is a simple change with ln. Not more! openoffice.org 2.0 was already
> created during the RELEASE-6.2-process.
>
> Still again: Why is this link showing to an older package, when to the
> same time a newer package exist for the RELEASE_6_2 (not RELENG_6)?

There are several openoffice versions in the ports tree, and the
maintainer determined that this is the one that should be used as the
"default" choice.  Typically when there are more than one version, the
link points to the recommended stable release.

That said, it's possible that the maintainer overlooked updating the
link when 2.0 became stable.  Please check whether it is the same in
the packages-6.2-stable package sets (i.e. the current packages, not
the release packages which are now 6 months out of date) and if so
then follow up with the openoffice maintainer.

Thanks,
Kris