can't zip large files 2gb >

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Thu May 3 12:58:43 UTC 2007

David Banning wrote:
> I have replace my memory. It didn't make any difference.
>
> root# gunzip *ian_mail*
> gunzip: 3s1.com-ian_mail-full-20070503-0105AM.1.tgz:
> invalid compressed data--format violated
> root#
>
> and another way;
>
> root# tar tzf *ian_mail*
>
> lists most files in the tgz, then terminates with;

> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
>
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
> tar: Child returned status 1
> root#

Just a thought and maybe nothing at all. Your example shows you are
using tar. What happens if

1) You only archive with tar, and then read the tar file back, is it
successful? (no compression)

2) You only use gzip, cat a few dozen log files together for example to
get the same file size. Can gunzip uncompress them?

3) You state in your earlier emails you tried gzip from ports. Were your
ports updated recently? FBSD 4 is no longer supported. Possibly your new
install of gzip is not working properly. If so you might try
deinstalling gzip, installing the ports system from your install CDs,
reinstalling gzip. (I have seen many users drop into
/usr/ports/something/something then enter "make;make install;make clean"
and never notice a warning or issue fly by on the monitor during the build)

Just thinking outloud, try tar and gunzip separately and see if the
problem persists.

Still think maybe a hardware issue.

DAve

Veterans?