Why is 6.2-RELEASE/packages/Latest/ not latest enough?

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Thu May 3 12:06:14 UTC 2007

Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On 5/3/07, Stevan Tiefert <stevan_tiefert at yahoo.de> wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I have installed via pkg_add -r various packages for my 6.2-RELEASE. I
>> have recognized that on this way I will not get always the newest
>> package.
>
> You only get the packages compiled during the release
> process. Newer packages are only built for 6-stable and
> 7-current. The hard truth is that we don't have enough
> human/hardware resources to keep 6.2 packages up-to-date.

While the above may indeed be true - if you really feel the need to have
the latest and greatest - that's 1/2 of what the ports and the upgrade
tools that are given to you to are for.

These same tools do allow you to create packages for your own needs.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Use extra care when cleaning on stairs.