Is FreeBSD simple enough for Novices, Will FreeBSD accept Office 98 + Publisher?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu May 3 04:36:17 UTC 2007

Sigh.  All very true.  And the worst part of it is,
I kid you not, SEVEN FRAGGING YEARS after AW has shipped books to some of
these retailers I am STILL getting chargebacks on my royalties for returned
books.  Oh, the quantity isn't high - it's down to about maybe 5-10 books
a quarter now - but those retailers appear to have no problem with letting
a book sit for 5 years, then returning it
for credit back to the publisher.  I have no clue why AW gives them credit.
Probably, they are afraid of never getting an order from the retailer again.

Luckily I had the foresight to not sign an advance contract, so they have
no legal claim to get the money out of me - but if I ever publish with
them again, I'm sure that negative balance will come out of the woodwork.

> This is the same phenomenon that, in the game industry, killed the
> combat flight simulator and almost killed the adventure game.  It's
> not that people don't buy them, it's that retailers don't want to sell
> them because they don't sell in large volumes immediately upon their
> release.

Yes, and that is why I buy less and less specific stuff from retailers.
I only buy commodity items nowadays from retailers.

Case in point.  When I put together my latest server from leftovers,
3 fans were bad, one was on the CPU heatsink and the other two were in
an odd area of the case.  There was no way in hell that I could buy
replacements locally.  And these were not strange sized fans.  The best
I could do is a local electronics distributor could order them for me.
At about $10-$15 per fan.  And I'm in the middle of a city, not in
podunkville.  I ended up waiting a few days and buying them online -
grand total for all 3 was under $15, and they were good quality ball
bearing, not sleeve bearing junk.

Time was that the retailers understood that at any given time, 1/3 to
1/2 of their inventory wouldn't make money because it would just move
too slow.  However, the existence of said inventory would draw the
customers into the store and keep them coming back.  And when they
were in the store they would be buying the profitable stuff because
it was convenient, because they were standing right there.

Then the MBAs moved in and told the retailers to dump everything that
didn't move fast.  So the retailers trimmed inventory, and reduced the
number of sku's on the shelf.  Now the retailers are wondering why all
the customers are leaving them and buying at the big box stores.  It's
because when the strip mall retailer has the same inventory that the
big box retailer has, you might as well save money at the big box.

I've seen this happen to Radio Shack, to many different hardware stores,
it's what killed Egghead Software, and is killing CompUSA.  I stopped
going into those places when they stopped stocking the slow-moving
stuff that you only occassionally need, but when you need it, you must
have it.

Ted