List of UPCs that can auto-shutdown FreeBSD

L Goodwin xrayv19 at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 22:44:31 UTC 2007

--- Jonathan Horne <freebsd at dfwlp.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/07 2:33 PM, "L Goodwin" <xrayv19 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I need help finding a UPS that can tell a computer
> > running FreeBSD 6.2 to shutdown. I checked the
> > hardware compatibility -- UPS are not even listed.
> >
> > The "APC Back-UPS ES USB 750VA w/TEL & COAX" meets
> my
> > needs, but they don't offer the software
> (PowerChute
> > Personal Edition) for FreeBSD (closest is Mac OS
> X).
> >
> > My budget is $100 (+/- $20). The system is a
> modest
> > server (ASUS PDB-DS w/onboard SCSI controller,
> Intel
> > PII/400, 3 SCSI HDD, 1 CD-ROM, 1 3.5 floppy, video
> > card, NIC), 14" monitor, kbd and mouse. In
> addition
> > there is a cable modem and a 4-port router.
> >
> > I'd prefer a major brand that I can purchase
> locally,
> > if possible. If you know of one that will
> definitely
> > work, please respond. Thanks!
> >
> Check out sysutils/apcupsd.  I have it running with
> similar APC UPS's, and it does exactly this.
> I even added another destination line on some of the
> scripts it runs on different power events, and when
> the power is off long enough (5 seconds I believe),
> I get a message sent to my cell phone (via smtp).
> --
> Jonathan Horne
> freebsd at dfwlp.com
> http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org

Thanks, Jonathan. The BE750BB is listed in the
"Supported UPSes and Cables" table, with a "note:
using APC cables 940-0127A/B/C". There is no mention
on the APC web site of which cable the  BE750BB uses,
nor whether it comes with the cable (not even in the
user manual). Shouldn't any standard USB cable work?

I forgot to mention that this is a Samba server, and
that I would like to broadcast a warning to all
Windows clients that the server is shutting down. Is
there a FreeBSD/Samba command that will enable me to
do this?

Thanks also to Dan and Eric for information on Network
UPS Tools and apcupsd.
Dan, the "Back-UPS ES USB" (BE750BB) is not listed in
the on the Network UPS Tools hardware compatibility list.