kismet config problem

AN andy at neu.net
Wed May 2 19:25:55 UTC 2007

I am trying to configure kismet on an IBM Thinkpad R51, running FBSD
6.2stable and Gnome 2.18.1, with Atheros based Netgear WAG511 card.  I
added user kismet to the system, and changed permissions on /home/kismet
to 777. (drwxrwxrwx   3 root  wheel     512 May  2 20:40 kismet/).  I have
the following in Kismet config file:
# User to setid to (should be your normal user)
suiduser=kismet

# YOU MUST CHANGE THIS TO BE THE SOURCE YOU WANT TO USE
source=radiotap_bsd_ab,ath0,kismet

The problem is that kismet fails to start, and produces the following
output:

# kismet
Server options:  none
Client options:  none
Starting server...
Waiting for server to start before starting UI...
Will drop privs to kismet (1001) gid 1001
No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
Enabling channel hopping.
Enabling channel splitting.
Source 0 (kismet): Enabling monitor mode for radiotap_bsd_ab source
interface ath0 channel 6...
Source 0 (kismet): Opening radiotap_bsd_ab source interface ath0...
WARNING:  pcap reports link type of EN10MB but we'll fake it on BSD.
This may not work the way we want it to.
WARNING:  Some Free- and Net- BSD drivers do not report rfmon packets
correctly.  Kismet will probably not run correctly.  For better
support, you should upgrade to a version of *BSD with Radiotap.
Spawned channelc control process 29677
Dropped privs to kismet (1001) gid 1001
Allowing clients to fetch WEP keys.
Logging networks to Kismet-May-02-2007-1.network
Logging networks in CSV format to Kismet-May-02-2007-1.csv
Logging networks in XML format to Kismet-May-02-2007-1.xml
Logging cryptographically weak packets to Kismet-May-02-2007-1.weak
Logging cisco product information to Kismet-May-02-2007-1.cisco
Logging gps coordinates to Kismet-May-02-2007-1.gps
Logging data to Kismet-May-02-2007-1.dump
Writing data files to disk every 300 seconds.
Mangling encrypted and fuzzy data packets.
Tracking probe responses and associating probe networks.
Reading AP manufacturer data and defaults from /usr/local/etc/ap_manuf
Reading client manufacturer data and defaults from
/usr/local/etc/client_manuf
Using network-classifier based data encryption detection
FATAL: Dump file error: Unable to open dump file Kismet-May-02-2007-1.dump
(Permission denied)
Sending termination request to channel control child 29677...
Waiting for channel control child 29677 to exit...
WARNING: Sometimes cards don't always come out of monitor mode
          cleanly.  If your card is not fully working, you may need to
          restart or reconfigure it for normal operation.
Kismet exiting.

So, it seems as if there is a permissions issue trying to create the dump
file.

I would appreciate any help getting this to work, if more debug info is
needed please let me know.

TIA,

Andy