Clustered file system

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed May 2 15:03:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 11:44:26PM +0200, Rico Secada wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are expanding at work and I am messing around with different setups.
>
> I need a file system that will *look* like its just on one machine,
> like when mounting with NFS, but because of the large amount of data,
> I really need to expand the files to several servers.

Well, that sounds like AFS.   Check out OpenAFS and Arla - Arla is
just a client, not the server.   OpenAFS does both, but may not
handle the most recent FreeBSD versions.   I haven't kept up lately.

Also, you might want to check out ZFS and see if it suits  your
needs.   I understand it will be available in FreeBSD in 7.xx.
It comes from SUN.

> Also I need some kind of security.

AFS does authentication and has ACLs.

////jerry