can't zip large files 2gb >

David Banning david+dated+1178507943.e045ce at skytracker.ca
Wed May 2 03:47:18 UTC 2007

> >Maybe a file or library that all zip programs depend on that is
> >corrupt?
>
> Your system is not too old, there were plenty of big files around when
> 4.11 was released. Sometimes we had to refill the oil lamps before gzip
> completed, but we made do.

You are right about the age of the system - I just got the same error
gzipping 339M file, but not a smaller 149M file. I tried your disk
idea. I unmounted the volume I was using and did an fsck with no
errors. Then I gzip'ped a new set of files on another drive, and
got the same error. I recompiled gzip from source also.

> Also you don't say if the files are local, if you are transmitting the
> files make certain they are not being sent in ascii format, ftp for
> instance.

I am not transmitting the file via FTP or anything else right now.
All is local for now.