autostart nx server

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Mar 31 13:23:40 UTC 2007

WarrenHead wrote:

> I've got freenx working on my freebsd 6.1. I'm wondering though how I
> can make it autostart when the machine has been rebooted.
> All the installation 'manuals' that I have found in personal blogs cover
> the exact same steps each time and nothing more. Unfortunately they
> don't cover this.
> I have found the configuration file
> /usr/X11R6/NX/etc/nxserver/node.conf.sample
> I edited this file and moved it to /etc/nxserver/node.conf and symlinked
> it to /usr/NX/etc/node.conf as the file suggested.
> I feel that I am missing something though.

If the program is a server, and installed from ports, most likely
a rc(8) script was installed to /usr/local/etc/rc.d or
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d.  If this is the case, then:

freenx_enable="YES"

should be added to /etc/rc.conf (assuming that the script you
find in one of these directories is actually called "freenx"
or "freenx.sh".

Otherwise, you could think about putting the command line
to start the program in root's crontab with the "@ reboot"
time target.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey