skype replacement

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Fri Mar 30 09:14:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:01:29 -0700 Andriy Babiy wrote:

> > > Since skype requires some i386 binary, it doesn't build on amd64.
> >
> > Where did you manage to get the sources?
> > Why didn't you give a try to use the port (/usr/ports/net/skype)?
> > It works just fine at amd64 (COMPAT_IA32 and COMPAT_LINUX32
> > should be used for kernel configuration).

> Thank you. I didn't know about those parameters. I'll give it a try.

Well, there are the defaults and are presented at the GENERIC kernel.

> Perhaps, if I add the parameters to the kernel configuration,
> linuxflashplugin will build on amd64 too?

Yes, it should work.

> Can it be applied to the kernel modules? I have an intergrated network card
> from Marvell. They provide i386 binary module only. Is it assumed to be
> working if I indicate these parameters; however I think they're helpless
> in this case.

Are you sure that your network card adapter is not supported? Did you
ask (if you run -stable) at the freebsd-stable@ about this network
card?

To answer your question. The default (GENERIC) kernel should use i386
binaries, can't say about kernel modules though.

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve