the art of pkgdb -F

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Thu Mar 29 20:41:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:40:05 +0100
RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:

> Portmanager is really no better, the dependencies recorded in the
> package database are also recursive. The big problem with gettext
> was that a lot of port failed to build afterwards, leaving them with a
> missing library.

I have had problems in the past getting 'portupgrade' to properly
update all of the dependencies required when doing a major update;
i.e., 'gettext'.

On the other hand, I have never had a problem using 'portmanager'
provided I used the '-p -f' flags.

Portmanager can update its list of ports that need updating on the fly.
I do not believe that either portupdate or portmaster have that ability.
I noticed that when doing the 'gettext' update, it twice recalculated
the number of ports that needed to have their dependencies updated.

It would probably behoove anyone prior to doing a massive update to
clean out the '/usr/ports/distfiles' directory and possibly running
'portsclean -C -D -l -PP' to insure that any old crud was not laying
around. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Gerard

Be careful how you get yourself involved with persons or
situations that can't bear inspection.