GTK filedialog crashes Firefox/Thunderbird

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu Mar 29 19:38:09 UTC 2007

Quoting cpghost <cpghost at cordula.ws>:

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 01:44:09PM -0400, John Nielsen wrote:
>> On Friday 23 March 2007 11:02:46 am Frank Staals wrote:
>> > It seems that I'm having problems (again) with the GTK filedialog in
>> > Firefox/Thunderbird. It happens when saving or opening a file in Firefox
>> > or thunderbird resulting in a crash. What to do:
>> >
>> > - Open Firefox
>> > - Save a file, the save-file dialog comes up, Save or cancel it.
>> > - Save a file, when the file dialog comes up, file dialog hangs and
>> > after a second or something firefox crashes
>>
>> I'm seeing the same behavior. I searched around on the web a while
>> ago and saw
>> a report (on a firefox bug issue or mailinglist I think) from
>> another FreeBSD
>> user about this. He later followed up to his own post saying that
>> the problem
>> went away after he recompiled ALL of his ports. The thing that was
>> interesting is that he only saw the bad behavior under xfce (what WM are you
>> using, btw?).  I'm running xfce 4.4.0 and have the problem, but I haven't
>> gotten around to recompiling everything yet. I may or may not wait for the
>> modularXorg stuff to be committed before I do so...
>
> I'm experiencing a similar problem with the GTK file save box. Under
> fluxbox, the save box starts to grow and shrink horizontally by approx
> 40% of its size twice per second or so. The only way out of this is to
> kill and restart Firefox. I don't know if other GTK-based programs are
> affected though. Another data point: I'm too in the midst of the giant
> gettext upgrade tango, so this could be temporary, until everything is
> finally upgraded.

I just want to report that I'm no longer having a problem after a
complete system refresh. I upgraded to -CURRENT (mostly for better
gjournal support, not because of anything in this thread), uninstalled
all my ports, deleted the /var/db/ports directory, removed /usr/X11R6
entirely, set $X11BASE to /usr/local in /etc/make.conf, removed
everything but a few config files in /usr/local, and installed
everything again.

Between the firefox issue I was seeing, the gettext upgrade, and
upgrading to -CURRENT I definitely needed to reinstall everything
anyway. I decided to go ahead and make the X11BASE change so my life
will be easier when the default gets changed. (I'm already running the
experimental modularXorg ports tree.)

JN