Is this a hard drive crash?

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Thu Mar 29 16:05:04 UTC 2007

Janos Dohanics wrote:

> I also ran the Seagate drive utility which found no problems with the
> drive. When the same kind of crash happened again, I thought the problem
> may be the IDE controller, I have replaced the motherboard.
>
> Now it crashed again with the new motherboard - and I don't know what
> should I do next: should I just replace an apparently good hard drive?

If you know the drive is good (e.g. by testing it in another machine),
the first thing you should replace is the power supply. Weird drive
behavior is often a sign of weak PSUs.

> Also, if this is just a hard drive crash, shouldn't  the system keep
> going?

So, you're saying that if a drive starts giving invalid or
noninterpretable communications back to the IDE controller, causing the
controller to wedge, which possibly brings down the PCI bus on which
it's connecte, tied to the front side bus and the CPU, the OS should
just continue? On what?