mysqli vs mysql

Spil Oss spil.oss at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 29 09:03:04 UTC 2007

Hi all,

(Questions towards the end of the mail)

Recently I've been looking at my web-applications and all of them
support both mysql and mysqli php-modules (i.e. phpMyAdmin, roundcube,
gallery2).

Both php5-mysql and php5-mysqli ports are installed on my system.
Only phpMyAdmin offers a knob for mysqli, the other ports support
mysqli but have no knob in the port.
To my knowledge, the mysqli php-module does not depend on the mysql
php-module in any way.

Setting WITH_MYSQLI for phpMyAdmin will add a dependency to the mysqli
php-module, and leave the dependency on the mysql php-module in place.

Should it be possible for these ports to depend on either mysql or
mysqli in addition to depending on both of them (for those that want
that)?
Should the knob be WITH_MYSQLI, if set use mysqli, if not set fall
back to whatever the port's default mysql-connection?
Should the knob WITH_MYSQL be used to depend on both MYSQL and MYSQLI
if both are set?

I would be happy to supply the maintainers with patches to these ports.

Kind regards,

Spil