Updating Bind & OpenSSL on 6.1-Stable/Release

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Tue Mar 27 12:24:08 UTC 2007

>I did... So I linked it to /etc/named.conf.... Everything works great
>now...
>
> My question is howver, why are the ports setup different than the
> original
> install? I would think that the port build would be set with the
> same
> options as the original install that came with the OS... I've seen
> this

Mainly because FreeBSD is a complete system, not a kernel and mishmash
of separate utilities like some other OS'es out there. Basically this
means that you should upgrade supplied userland programs by using the
usual cvsup the latest sources and buildworld procedure, rather than
using the ports for upgrading. The versions of BIND/Sendmail/SSL in
the ports are mainly in there for users who need new features or
something not available in the versions installed with the operating
system base.

The separate install lets you bail out if something stops working with
the replacements installed from ports and of course helps preventing
breaking the interdependencies and stuff in the OS supplied userland.

-Reko