redirect /dev/console to a file

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 27 02:25:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Kevin Kinsey wrote:

> Neil Short wrote:
>> I'd like to redirect /dev/console to some file that
>> can be read by the xrootconsole port.
>>
>> Is this ambition feasible?
>>
>> I like the functionality of xconsole; but it's not
>> very pretty.
>>

> According to the default /etc/syslog.conf, you should
> be able to enable syslogd to log to a file, and then
> run xrootconsole on that, I should imagine. ??
>
> Details are found there, IIRC.
>
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Kinsey
> --
> I am firm.  You are obstinate.  He is a pig-headed fool.
> 		-- Katharine Whitehorn

Yes, you can do that from /etc/syslog.conf. Don't have my PC right in front of me right now, but doing that's trivial. Want to make sure you have permissions for the file though because (if memory served me correctly) syslog's security settings are fairly restrictive by default (mode: 600 owned by root, or something similar).

-Garrett