jail vs. nice

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 26 08:53:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 01:28:51AM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>>
>> A program (a TclX' self-test script) works fine in a normal environment,
>> but fails to renice itself, when running in jail (as root):
>>
>> 	==== nice-1.8 nice tests FAILED
>> 	==== Contents of test case:
>>
>> 	    list [nice -1] [nice]
>>
>> 	---- Test generated error; Return code was: 1
>> 	---- Return code should have been one of: 0 2
>> 	---- errorInfo: failed to increment priority: permission denied
>> 	    while executing
>> 	"nice -1"
>> 	    invoked from within
>> 	"list [nice -1] [nice]"
>> 	    ("uplevel" body line 2)
>> 	    invoked from within
>> 	"uplevel 1 $script"
>>
>> This is new -- just a few months ago the same script was working fine, but
>> it is failing now in both 7.0 and 6.2.
>
> And 5.x.  Or it could just be a changed behaviour of the 7.0 kernel, which
> is common to all builds.

This e-mail exchange has left me unclear on what has broken on what versions.
Mikhail, when you say "7.0 and 6.2", do you mean actual 7.0 and 6.2 boxes, or
do you mean the package build environment running on 7.0 on pointyhat as
Kris's followup seems to suggest?  And what does "failing now" mean -- a quick
glance at the kernel source in RELENG_5 suggests it started "failing now" a
long time ago?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge