Why doesn't sendmail wait to receive on port 25?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Mar 25 16:13:48 UTC 2007

On 2007-03-24 17:57, tomohito.kajiwara at nts.ricoh.co.jp wrote:

> Thank you very much !!
>
> I didn't think that it was necessary to add
> sendmail_enable="YES" because sendmail is running without
> changing rc.conf.
>
> I confirmed that sendmail listens on port 25 after adding the
> above setting.
>
> I couldn't find out what to do for three days.
>
> Thank you very much !!! m(_ _)m

Tomohito-san,

Sendmail is listening only to 'localhost:25' by default.  This is
necessary for local email delivery, but it doesn't allow any
other host to connect to your SMTP port.

You can find more about the various sendmail-related options of
"rc.conf" files in the rc.sendmail manpage:

    man rc.sendmail

Regards,
Giorgos