SOLVED: Re: Problems with "burncd" - cannot mount result on unix or windows

Transpacific ecsd at transpacific.net
Fri Mar 23 21:25:48 UTC 2007

I ought to know better than to say "SUCKS" in any case.

I tried to make the point that, other things being equal
(I know about filesystems in general, I'm just not familiar with their
peculiarities in dealing with CDs),
all I wanted to "see quickly" was the example use. Had the handbook's
example for "burncd" merely
had an example "mkisofs" command generating the input to be burnt with
burncd, I would have "gotten it"
right away. Others have pointed out that "man burncd" discusses ISOs,
but that material is on "man page 2",
as it were - and in reading the description and arguments, I was gulled
by the phrase "fixating the CD writes
a TOC and makes the CD readable". It said it wrote files to the CD, I
didn't see a reminder or warning that
only ISOs would make sense. Now that I know better about what can
meaningfully be put on a CD, now I know.
I had always equated ISOs with "bootable install images", but now I get
it. In fact that distinction was reinforced
in using windows CD burning software where ISOs had to be handled
differently to be written correctly - what
I was otherwise seeing was what appeared to be dumping files to the CD,
but underneath the program was
encapsulating the data as ISO on the fly, evidently. I wouldn't suspect
"burncd" didn't function similarly.
And, of course, everyone else already knew about ISOs, and so nobody
thought to ask that pre-basic question.

As to the "why didn't you just read ..." - I was in a hurry; this was a
trivial thing to be able to do, so I knew it
was only a matter of seeing commands to do it and I'd take it from
there. In fact, I didn't go back and read the
documentation to find out what was wrong; I just took a look at the
"cdrecord" command doc and the mkisofs
example to create the source was there, and I said, oh, ran it for
burncd, voila. So the "missing FAQ" would
be sort of an intermediate or slight level of detail, perhaps more like
a tear-out reference card summary of the
actions to take (and any underlying kernel/library/package requirements.)

My apologies to Father Greg.

==