how utilize several IP's on one line

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Mar 23 19:22:27 UTC 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 11:47 AM, David Banning wrote:
>> Connect the DSL modem to a switch or hub, and connect several
>> machines to that, each configured statically to use the /29 subnet
>> which your ISP is making available to you.
>>
>> This is assuming your DSL modem deals with any PPPoE/PPPoA login
>> stuff itself...if not, you might have to get a broadband router or
>> config a FreeBSD box to do the PPPoE stuff and then route the subnet
>> internally (perhaps using RFC-1918 addresses via natd & the
>> redirect_address directive).
>
> Very helpful. Thanks Chuck.  What decides which IP will go to each
> machine?

You do.  :-)

You can either statically configure each machine based on the network
config info your ISP provides, or you can even set up DHCP + static
IP configs using dhcpd and let automatic network config help out.
It's easier to configure a FreeBSD machine to provide static IPs via
DHCP than to do so on most "network appliance" style broadband routers.

> The router? If so what kind of router is that called?  What is the
> term
> I can search google on this to learn more?

"broadband router".  D-link, Linksys, and others make 'em-- I've got
an 8-port Linksys BEFSR81 which works just dandy for my purposes.

--
-Chuck