Upgrade from 4.x -> 6.2: Old file systems?

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Fri Mar 23 18:25:04 UTC 2007

I have a server which I am considering upgrading from 4.11 to 6.2.
Besides the operating system disk (which contains all of the
expected partitions such as /, /usr, /var, and /tmp), There's a
large data disk on the system containing useful data that I'd like
to put back online as soon as the upgrade is completed. I'd rather
not have to reformat it unless there is a significant advantage to
doing so. Does 6.2 work properly with the older disk format? Is
there any reason to take the time and effort to back up the data
and restore it to the new format? Is there anything I'll need to be
careful about if I upgrade just the system disk?

--Brett Glass