GTK filedialog crashes Firefox/Thunderbird

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Fri Mar 23 18:06:29 UTC 2007

John Nielsen wrote:
> On Friday 23 March 2007 11:02:46 am Frank Staals wrote:
>
>> It seems that I'm having problems (again) with the GTK filedialog in
>> Firefox/Thunderbird. It happens when saving or opening a file in Firefox
>> or thunderbird resulting in a crash. What to do:
>>
>> - Open Firefox
>> - Save a file, the save-file dialog comes up, Save or cancel it.
>> - Save a file, when the file dialog comes up, file dialog hangs and
>> after a second or something firefox crashes
>>
>> Same thing happens when trying to open a file using the file dialog a
>> second time, and same for thunderbird: The second time the GTK file
>> dialog comes up it seems to crash firefox or thunderbird.
>>
>> When I was running firefox-1.5 there was the exact same problem which
>> was fixed in one of the developement releases and when first running
>> Fx-2 I didn't have any problems with it either. I checked in the gimp
>> and geany if there were problems with the file dialog but it worked fine
>> in those programs. Has anyone else problems with this ?
>>

> I'm seeing the same behavior. I searched around on the web a while ago and saw
> a report (on a firefox bug issue or mailinglist I think) from another FreeBSD
> user about this. He later followed up to his own post saying that the problem
> went away after he recompiled ALL of his ports. The thing that was
> interesting is that he only saw the bad behavior under xfce (what WM are you
> using, btw?).  I'm running xfce 4.4.0 and have the problem, but I haven't
> gotten around to recompiling everything yet. I may or may not wait for the
> modularXorg stuff to be committed before I do so...
>
> JN

Hmm I wondered if I should have added what WM I was running but I guess
so: Running xfce-4.4.0 on xorg-7.2rc3.

Fixed by recompiling all my ports seems a lot of work to fix something
with GTK :S but well I'm planning on reinstalling FreeBSD not that long
from now ( want to switch disc setup ) hope that will fix the problem
then. Allthough there ougth to be an better/more specific solution then
just recompiling everything ....

--
-Frank Staals