how utilize several IP's on one line

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Mar 23 17:39:26 UTC 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 9:40 AM, David Banning wrote:
> I just spoke with my DSL supplier and they said that they could give
> me 5 IP addresses with a DSL line.
>
> I am used to only one IP address per phone line - how are the other
> IP addresses from the same DSL line utlilized and routed to different
> servers?

Connect the DSL modem to a switch or hub, and connect several
machines to that, each configured statically to use the /29 subnet
which your ISP is making available to you.

This is assuming your DSL modem deals with any PPPoE/PPPoA login
stuff itself...if not, you might have to get a broadband router or
config a FreeBSD box to do the PPPoE stuff and then route the subnet
internally (perhaps using RFC-1918 addresses via natd & the
redirect_address directive).

--
-Chuck