RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri Mar 23 13:13:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:05:51 -0700 (PDT)
eps+ques0703 at ana.com (Eric P. Scott) wrote:

> [Jeffrey Goldberg]
> >As an aside, I'd like to rant that there is no reason for ftp to
> >exist anymore.  Sure it is stateful in a way that HTTP isn't, but
> >that isn't enough to justify its continued use.
>
> I have very good connectivity to several FTP-only mirror sites,
> and relatively poor connectivity to any that serve up HTTP.  None
> of those servers are under my administrative control.

I think the implication was that servers should move from FTP to HTTP,
not that FTP-only mirrors should be removed from the lists.

I think it's happening, if you look at bsd.sites.mk there's more HTTP
than there was a year or two ago. It's definately good to have the
option of HTTP because some ISPs treat FTP as a file-sharing protocol.