Problems with "burncd" - cannot mount result on unix or windows

Jonathan McKeown jonathan at hst.org.za
Fri Mar 23 06:48:01 UTC 2007

On Thursday 22 March 2007 23:42, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 12:31:32PM -0700, UCTC Sysadmin wrote:
[broken CDs under burncd]
> The main thing I did was take out the '-s max' speed parameter

Just as a further point of reference, I also found that -s max caused the
DVD+RW drive in my laptop (6.1), and the CD writer in my desktop PC at home
(5.4), to make shiny coasters. Setting an actual speed worked fine, except
for a further odd problem on the DVD+RW laptop drive.

burncd data image.iso

works fine, but

burncd data image.iso fixate

causes an I/O error at the fixate stage - exactly as though the drive (or
utiliy, or OS) has memorised the fact that the drive contains a blank CD and
continues to treat it as empty media even after writing to it.

In the end the only way I found to close off a disc and write a ToC is:

burncd data image.iso
<take CD out and put it back in>
burncd fixate

Jonathan