Problems with "burncd" - cannot mount result on unix or windows

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Mar 22 21:43:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 12:31:32PM -0700, UCTC Sysadmin wrote:

> Using a Sony CRX850E slimline CD burner / DVD reader
> FreeBSD 6.1
>
> I write a single file to the CD and say "-fixate"; the command shows the
> progress of writing
> and then finishes with no error message. Trying to then mount that CD on
> FreeBSD says "unrecognizable"
> and on windows says "maybe disk is blank."

This was covered about a week ago in questions.
I had similar problems and am not at all sure why or that the
changes I made fixed the problem, but it now works for me, at
least for the ISOs I have made in the last couple of weeks.  I
haven't gotten to making my CD backup of my web page yet.

The main thing I did was take out the '-s max' speed parameter and
came up with this which works:
  /usr/sbin/burncd -v -f /dev/acd0 data FreeBSD62-disc1.iso fixate

It makes a both bootable and mountable CD.

Although I have used -s max successfully in the past, burncd
stopped working when I went to FreeBSD 6.xx - could neither boot
nor mount the resulting burned CDs.   Taking out that parameter
seemed to get it working again.

> Is burncd broken?

Maybe, at least sort of??
Or is it my CD burner getting old?
Except the problem showed up on all of the machines that
I brought up to 6.xx.   I doubt that all their Cd burners would
simultaneously die at the same time.   A couple are barely used
and I don't really stress my main one all that much.

////jerry