gbde and geli - differences

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Wed Mar 21 18:33:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:02:51 +0100
Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 12:13:21AM +0000, RW wrote:
> <snip>

> > > You can use a UFS filesystem on a DVD. In short:
> > > - create an file with random characters the size of a DVD.
> > > - use that as a vnode backed memory disk with mdconfig.
> > > - initialize and attach that with geli.
> > > - create a new filesystem on the geli device
> > > - mount it.
> >
> > But how do you put that on a DVD-R or DVD+R?
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=$HOME/backupDVD.img

How do you attach the dvd content?

# geli attach /dev/cd0
Cannot read metadata from /dev/cd0: Invalid argument.

geli attach -r /dev/cd0
Cannot read metadata from /dev/cd0: Invalid argument.

I also tried acd0, and  acd0t01

# ls -l /dev/*cd0*
crw-rw-r--  1 root  operator    0, 105 Mar 21 11:27 /dev/acd0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 165 Mar 21 11:27 /dev/acd0t01
crw-rw-r--  1 root  operator    0, 142 Mar 21 11:27 /dev/cd0