Protsnap won't fetch updates

no-spam at people.net.au no-spam at people.net.au
Tue Mar 20 00:05:37 UTC 2007

Hi,
I'm trying to use portsnap on a 5.4 server which is behind a firewall, so I can't
use cvsup (the department that controls the firewall won't open the cvsup port).
I have my system setup with my proxy settings so that I can fetch files from the
Internet using HTTP or FTP protocol using either the fetch command or FTP. (for
instance sudo fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/README.TXT will
successfully fetch that file.

I've installed portsnap and setup the conf file, but when I run it with the fetch
command, it always says I have the latest snapshot:
internal:~% sudo portsnap fetch
Password:
Fetching updated snapshot tag... done.
Latest snapshot on server matches what we already have.
No updates needed.
internal:~% sudo portsnap update
Removing old files and directories... done.
Extracting new files:

The /usr/ports/UPDATING file never gets updated, so I know it's not working! Any
suggestions?

Cheers,
Ian