pwd.db too big for / partition

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Mon Mar 19 21:15:03 UTC 2007

I have moved my root partition on one server.  I copied the entire
partition to a new partition on a different drive using cpio as I wanted
/dev moved too.  At the time this was running 4.x.

After moving the root partition I rebooted and made sure the new partition
was still fine.  Then I changed both /etc/fstab files to mount the new
root, and gave the old root a new mount point.

On the root of the old root I added a boot.config file to tell the loader
the correct drive and slice to boot from.

After another reboot, I was using the new root partition.  I keep the old
one there for the boot.config.  It like your's is too small do much else
with given the huge drives we install these days.

As for your old root, you should try to clear any space you can.  I would
look for any log files you can purge, etc, to get some working space.

         -Derek

At 09:54 AM 3/19/2007, Marcelo Maraboli wrote:
>Hi
>
>my / partition has only 73.196 Mbytes available and since I
>have 22.000 users, I now cannot change anyone´s password..
>
>root at server:~$ passwd marcelo.maraboli
>Changing local password for marcelo.maraboli
>New Password:
>Retype New Password:
>
>/: write failed, filesystem is full
>pwd_mkdb: write old: No space left on device
>passwd: pam_chauthtok(): error in service module
>
>How can I rezise the "/" partition or move the spwb.db
>and pwd.db files to another partition ?? (each of them is 44 Mbytes)
>
>thanks.
>--
>MSc. Marcelo Maraboli Rosselott
>Jefe Area de Redes y Comunicaciones  (Network & UNIX Systems Engineer)
>Ingeniero Civil Electronico, CISSP  (Electronic Engineer, CISSP, MSc.)
>
>Direccion Central de Servicios Computacionales (DCSC)
>Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria         phone: +56 32 2654071
>Chile.    http://www.usm.cl                 http://elqui.dcsc.utfsm.cl
>
>--
>believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.