Can't see ATA drives with new install

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sun Mar 18 00:23:30 UTC 2007

jlc415 at gmail.com wrote:
> It's an Intel DG965WH; Core 2 Duo CPU.
>
> On 3/17/07, Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>> jlc415 at gmail.com wrote:
>> > I've just installed 6.2/amd64 on a system with standard IDE as well as
>> > SATA; I've got three drives: an old linux IDE hard drive (that I can't
>> > modify), a CD/DVD drive on the IDE bus, and a new SATA drive where
>> > I've just installed/am installing FreeBSD.
>> >
>> > I can boot from any of the drives: the linux install doesn't have the
>> > right drivers so it's not usable, but the MB definitely sees the
>> > drive. I can boot from the FreeBSD boot CD, as well, and that's what I
>> > used to install onto the SATA drive.
>> >
>> > The trouble is that when I boot from the SATA drive I can't see either
>> > of the other two drives. /dev contains the entries for the main SATA
>> > drive, but nothing for anything else: no /dev/acd or /dev/cd; no other
>> > hard drives; nothing. Looked through dmesg but didn't see anything
>> > related to the cd drive, although I really don't know what I'm looking
>> > for.
>> >
>> > I wondered whether the stock kernel maybe just didn't include the
>> > right drivers, so added
>> >
>> > device atapicam
>> > device scbus
>> > device cd
>> > device pass
>> >
>> > to GENERIC, but I still can't see the dvd drive.
>> >
>> > What should I be looking for? Is there more robust documentation on
>> > dealing with ATA devices somewhere?
>> >
>> > Any help much appreciated.
>> >
>> > -mike
>>
>> Mike,
>>         What's your motherboard maker?
>> -Garrett

Your motherboard (and most importantly the chipset it uses) are recent,
so 6.2 might not have hardware support quite yet.. 7-CURRENT might be
your next best bet if the following doesn't work.

Here's what I have for my kernel config though for the device drivers
section, related to PATA/CD/DVD stuff:

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device          ataraid         # ATA RAID drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
device          atapicam
options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          ch              # SCSI media changers
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

Cheers,
-Garrett