SUMMARY: CPUTYPE for VIA EPIA M-Series Mini-ITX

George d1945 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 16 18:55:11 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 04:33:15PM +0000, RW wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:39:00 -0500
> Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark.org> wrote:
>
> > I've had two responses telling me that the make.conf defaults are
> > just fine, and two (one off list) recommending i686/pentiumpro.  One
> > for pentiumpro and the other for i686, but as Andreas Rudish
> > helpfully pointed out, those two are probably the same thing.  No
> > one suggested using c3.  In fact, cpghost emphatically stated not to
> > use C3 in make.conf
>
> From: /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk
>
> .  elif ${CPUTYPE} == "c3"
> MACHINE_CPU = 3dnow mmx i586 i486 i386
> .  elif ${CPUTYPE} == "c3-2"
> MACHINE_CPU = sse mmx i586 i486 i386
>
> If you look at the screenshot of the CPUID window from the review
> linked by Garrett, it says the Nehemiah has sse but not 3dnow, which
> matches the c3-2 settings above.
>
> I would recommend that you comment out C[XX]FLAGS and try again
> with CPUTYPE=c3-2
>
> FreeBSD isn't Gentoo, and using Gentoo's settings may cause trouble in
> the long-term. If you set CPUTYPE properly, FreeBSD will normally
> come-up with sensible optimizations.

The above is good advice, but I personally don't recall there ever being
a c3 CPUTYPE designation.  For example:

$ grep -i c3 /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk

$ sed q /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk ; uname -r
# $FreeBSD: src/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk,v 1.48 2005/05/24 21:24:40 cognet Exp $
6.1-RELEASE

On other hand, from reading your headers:

suggests to me that it may have been added to 6.2.  If that's the case,
then it merits being pointed out.

Cheers.

--
George