6.2-amd64 Hang at reboot on Supermicro X7DBR-i+

Guy Helmer ghelmer at palisadesys.com
Thu Mar 15 20:45:30 UTC 2007

I'm investigating a problem where a pretty much stock 6.2 SMP kernel
randomly hangs on multiple Supermicro X7DBR-i+ and X7DBR-8+ systems.
The system syncs the filesystems and prints "Uptime: ...", then hangs.

So far, I've narrowed it down to the MOD_SHUTDOWN request to the
"rootbus" module.  Adding a printf() before and after the
"device_shutdown(child);" line in subr_bus.c method
bus_generic_shutdown() seems to make the problem go away, as does
running a kernel with INVARIANTS, WITNESS, and DDB/KDB.  I'm trying to
reproduce the hang on a plain SMP kernel with just DDB/KDB, but it
hasn't hung yet.

Any ideas?

Guy

--