sendmail not working?

Nagy László Zsolt nagylzs at freemail.hu
Thu Mar 15 13:15:51 UTC 2007

> You haven't configured it correctly.

I think I did.
> To enable postfix startup script please add postfix_enable="YES" in
> your rc.conf
>
> If you not need Sendmail anymore, please add in your rc.conf:
>
> sendmail_enable="NO"
> sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
> sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
> sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

I'm sorry, I did not paste all lines related to sendmail. Here are the

messias# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep sendm
sendmail_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
messias# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep postf
postfix_enable="YES"

> And you can disable some sendmail specific daily maintenance routines
> in your /etc/periodic.conf file:
>
> daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"
> daily_status_mail_rejects_enable="NO"
> daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO"
> daily_submit_queuerun="NO"

Okay, this was missing but I guess this did not affect local mail delivery.
> You also need to modify the /etc/mail/mailer.conf file. This is done
> automatically by postfix.
Yes. When I reinstalled postfix, it asked me if I want to enable postfix
in mailer.conf. I answered YES. Here is my mailer.conf:

messias# cat /etc/mail/mailer.conf
#
# Execute the Postfix sendmail program, named /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
#
sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
mailq   /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
newaliases      /usr/local/sbin/sendmail

> If your version is not current, you might want to update it.
messias# pkg_info | grep postfix
postfix-2.3.5,1     A secure alternative to widely-used Sendmail

I know it is not the newest, but should work. I rebooted the machine,
but it did not help. By the way, I do NOT want postfix to listen on
TCP/25. I have to use an ssh tunnel. But I would like to be able to
deliver e-mail messages locally.

Here is what I did for now:

- deinstalled postfix
- changed mailer.conf back to the original version
- disabled postfix and re-enabled sendmail in rc.conf
- started sendmail with "/etc/rc.d/sendmail start"

And it works! But why couldn't I do this with postfix?

Thanks,

   Laszlo