Optimizationn questions?

Martin Tournoij carpetsmoker at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 15 01:37:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, March 15, 2007 02:16, Gary Kline wrote:

> Two quick one for kernel and/or compiler wizards:  first, is
> a 400Mz processor considered a 586 (for my KERNELCONF file)?

To check:
dmesg | grep CPU

Two examples (first one is a i686 and second one a i586)
CPU: Intel Celeron (902.05-MHz 686-class CPU)
CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (300.68-MHz 586-class CPU)

> Second, is it safe to do a buildworld with -O3?  If there are
> stability concerns, I'll go with the default when I rebuild my
> 6.2 systems.

from /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf :
# CFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C code.
# Note that optimization settings other than -O and -O2 are not recommended
# or supported for compiling the world or the kernel - please revert any
# nonstandard optimization settings to "-O" or -O2 before submitting bug
# reports without patches to the developers.