binary patches?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Mar 14 23:01:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 05:07:43PM +0100, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> Gary Kline schrieb:
> >	Regarding most (or many) of the port changes--say, upgrading
> >	foo-2.1.9_5 to foo-2.1.9_6, if  the upgrade could be done by
> >	downloading a binary diff file, could the resulting
> >	/usr/local/bin/foo-2.1.9_6 be achieved by downloading a
> >	relatively small binary patch?  Seems to me that smaller scale
> >	upgrades could be done this way in preference to re-compiling
> >	ports or downloading entire pacakes.  --Same would go for any
> >	dependencies.
> >
> >	Why is this a bad idea!
> >
> >	gary
> >
> The final form of actual binaries depend on a lot of things, e.g. which
> version of dependency you compiled with, which CFLAGS you have used,
> what options the port you built it. Some of these applies to packages as
> well, that's why I prefer ports over packages at all. E.g. let's see
> lang/php5. It does not have the apache module enabled by default. If it
> were, then the problem comes up with Apache versions. IIRC, 2.2 is the
> default now, but what if you use 2.0? How would you install php for your
> apache version from package? The situtation has been already pretty
> complicated with packages if you have higher needs for fine tuning, but
> you can use them if you don't have special needs. Binary diffs would be
> so complicated that I think this way we could really not follow.
>
> If you need simplicity at all, use portupgrade with packages. It has an
> option (don't remember which one) you can use to make it fetch packages
> instead of building from source. Nowadays, this network traffic should
> not be a real problem, I think.

	You've brought up a lot of things I didn't consider; this was
	part of the reason for my post.  It seems to me that there would
	need to be some simple ground rules from the binary patches I'm
	got in mind.  The *default* CFLAGS in the port would match those
	in the patch is one place to start.

	Obviously, this could get way out of hand very quickly.  Two of
	my slowest servers (one 400MHz, 192M RAM) were rebuilding parts
	of the KDE suite; the new kdelib-3.5.6 [??] just finished and I
	already scp'd it over to my more beefy platform.  Once I've got
	all my servers up to date, it may not be that hard to keep them
	current.  You're right that bandwidth isn't a problem--um, in
	most places {{ clearing my throat! }}.  Bandwidth isn't the main
	issue.  It's time.

	cheers!

	gary

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix