FreeBSD laptop computer

Alexandre Vieira nullpt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 19:48:54 UTC 2007

On 3/14/07, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> i need to buy new notebook for personal use.
>
> Could you give me an advice what will be actually FULLY supported by
> FreeBSD.
>
> Other needs are:
>
> a) low price
> b) high reliability
> c) long battery run
>
> processing power and extra peripherals are not important, even slower NEW
> laptops are much more powerful that me needs.
>
> Especially WiFi is unneeded, LAN will be OK but it's not a problem to
> attach one.
>
> thank you very much

Hi,

I dont know about other laptops, just the one I own. It's an acer 1644WLMi.
It's supported completely by freebsd. I bought it 1yr ago, now it should be
very cheap. It has a 2.0ghz Centrino (Pentium M), 1GB RAM DDR, a 120GB
5200rpm disk, WiFi, USBx4, Intel High definition audio, Intel GMA 945 128MB,
battery used to hold for more than 2hr in working mode.

There's only a couple of things that you'll need to tweak:

1) snd_hda doesn't come in 6_RELENG.Check the multimedia mailing list to
learn how to get it working (everything works great, speaker, line, mic,
etc..)
2) The ACPI implementation has a couple of bytecodes fsckd up. You need to
fix it and load the modified  AML. Check the acpi mailing list to get some
help on correcting this minor issue.

Cheers
Alexandre Vieira - nullpt at gmail.com