getting mail to work

NetOpsCenter noc at hdk5.net
Wed Mar 14 18:21:25 UTC 2007

Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2007, at 8:17 PM, jekillen wrote:
>

>> On Mar 12, 2007, at 5:14 PM, RW wrote:
>

>>> Just as long as you understand the distinction between forward and
>>> reverse DNS. Based on the whois record for for your IP address, at  the
>>> moment you appear to have the following reverse DNS for the address
>>> range 75.7.236.224 - 75.7.236.231:
>>>
>>> $ for i in `jot  8 224` ; do dig +short -x 75.7.236.$i  ; done
>>> adsl-75-7-236-224.dsl.irvnca.sbcglobal.net.
>>> adsl-75-7-236-225.dsl.irvnca.sbcglobal.net.
>>> adsl-75-7-236-226.dsl.irvnca.sbcglobal.net.
>>> adsl-75-7-236-227.dsl.irvnca.sbcglobal.net.
>>> adsl-75-7-236-228.dsl.irvnca.sbcglobal.net.
>>> adsl-75-7-236-229.dsl.irvnca.sbcglobal.net.
>>> adsl-75-7-236-230.dsl.irvnca.sbcglobal.net.
>>> adsl-75-7-236-231.dsl.irvnca.sbcglobal.net.
>>

>> OK, It appears that it is the ISPs name servers who
>> are responding. When I call up my sights I get to the
>> machines they are on according to my present
>> DNS setup.
>

> But that is what the public sees.  If (which I strongly doubt) your
> own internal nameservers give a different result to
>
> $ dig +short -x 75.7.236.224
>
> then it still makes no difference to the rest of the world which,
> when doing a *reverse* lookup on your IP address doesn't get anything
> that looks like your domain name.
>

>> try www.brushandbard.com
>

> That's not the question.  RW was (correctly) talking about *reverse*
> DNS, aka DNS PTR records.  That is we are looking at the translation
> *from* number *to* name.
>
> If you look up one of my statically IP addresses
>
> $  dig +short -x 72.64.118.115
> n115.ewd.goldmark.org.
>
> you get that instead of
>
>  static-72-64-118-115.dllstx.fios.verizon.net
>
> It took me many unpleasant hours on the phone to Verizon to get the
> reverse look up the way it is now.  I spent those hours on the phone
> specifically because I did want to run my own direct to MX mailserver.
> #####

I just got this above  problem cleared up with the Nework that supplies
my lines and IP addresses.

Is this a common practice that the static IP you get from a Network
Provider  will reflect the Network Providers ID not yours? I guess then
you have to include what you expect in your order for a line/s and IP/s.
for running mail servers.

Al Plant
NetOpsCenter  hdk5.net

#####