Problem with VPN and LinkSYS BEFSX41

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Mar 14 09:42:19 UTC 2007

We had the same problem last year when we ran a tunnel between a Cisco
7200 running Cisco IOS and a BEF SX 41.  Keep in mind that Cisco
now owns Linksys.  In short, the owners of Linksys obviously know
that the Linksys product is garbage but they have not released a fix
for it's firmware.

I rechristened that particular model the BEF SUX 41.  It seems to fit.

Eventually the BEF burned up and I was rid of dealing with it.  Hoo Boy
the customer lost $50 that they spent on it!!

Moral of the story:  Crappy hardware does not a stable network make.

While you probably won't want to give Linksys any further business,
you should know that the Linksys RV042 is a vastly superior implementation
of the same product.

Ted