Don't buy AMD products (was Re: Xorg and ATI card query.)

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Mar 13 21:50:37 UTC 2007

On Mar 13, 2007, at 16:33 , Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 02:58:34PM -0500, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>> We need to start hounding on AMD to publish the developer
>> documentation for all radeon chipsets. I for one will not buy any AMD
>> or ATI components until they decide to fix the problem.

>> Besides, chances are it's not Meyer who's making these decisions (re:
> proprietary hardware / NDA-only documentation), but a few select
> individuals at ATI who are fuelled off of paranoia (the most common
> defence being fear nVidia/other competitors will "steal their
> technology").  Really sounds like the decision of a legal dept. and
> not
> a CEO.

Hounding on AMD won't help right now regardless; they're still
finding out what kind of mess they've acquired, making changes to it
is a long way off.  :)

--
brandon s. allbery  [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell]
allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]
allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university
KF8NH