No matter what I try I can't get Nvidia 3d acceleration to work. Please help!

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Tue Mar 13 21:30:46 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 22:12, hxc at planet.nl wrote:
> Chris Slothouber wrote:
> > What version of FreeBSD are you currently running.
> >
> > Check out the FreeBSD Handbook for step-by-step instructions for
> > synchronizing your source and building an updated kernel and userland.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.ht
> >ml
> >
> > hxc at planet.nl wrote:
> >> Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> >> (snip)
> >> fps :-( . Maybe it is an idea to upgrade the kernel? I searched for a
> >> good howto but couldn't find anything useful. Who knows a link with
> >> more information about this?

> Is the only possible to upgrade the kernel by upgrading FreeBSD as a
> whole? For now if I understand the total upgrading idea. I would like to
> keep FreeBSD stable. in order to upgrade the kernel I need to:
Yes the steps below do exactly that: upgrade everything, including the kernel.

> 1 Use the cvsup program (gotta figure how yet)
Use something like the following as "supfile":
--- cut ----
*default host=cvsup.nl.freebsd.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
---- cut ----
then run:
# csup -g -L 2 supfile

For more information:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

> 2 Rebuilding world:
> read /usr/src/UPDATING
>
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
You can specify KERNCONF=MYKERNEL here, if you want to build a custom kernel.
> # reboot
>
> single user mode
> # mergemaster -p
> # make installworld
> # mergemaster
mergemaster -U will save you some time here...
> # reboot
Correct.

> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=/MYKERNEL/
> # make installkernel KERNCONF=/MYKERNEL
Not necessary (already done above). By the way specify MYKERNEL without
any '/' signs.

> /Darn this looks pretty complicated  :-P

Good Luck!