No matter what I try I can't get Nvidia 3d acceleration to work. Please help!

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Mar 13 15:41:33 UTC 2007

hxc at planet.nl wrote:

> In case you haven't noticed I am a total FreeBSD n00b ;). How can I
> solve this error message? Thanks in advance!:
>
> Error message
> login: NVRM: AGP cannot be enabled on this combination of the AMD CPU
> and OS kernel
> NVRM: kernel upgrade recommended.

Unless I am misunderstanding, you can't.  See
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52388 messages #4 and
#6.  Changes are required to the FreeBSD kernel as well as to the NVidia
driver.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2006-June/016995.html

I have no idea what effect this has on 3D acceleration of any kind; I
only use the driver because the nv driver available when I got the card
locked up.  Newer Nvidia drivers do as well
(http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73644)

For reference, with a GT6600 and an older nvidia driver I get ~4700fps.
I neither know nor care whether that is good or not; I can run X which
is all I care about.  I use Windows for games.

hth,

--Alex