6.2 running 4.x binaries (missing libc.so.3)

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Tue Mar 13 15:28:13 UTC 2007

Sergio Lenzi writes:

>  > >  However, the 4.x binaries want to find libc.so.3, which
>  > >  doesn't seem to be anywhere around.
>  > >
>  > >  Anyone know the trick to getting this to work?
>  >
>  > 	/usr/ports/misc/compat4x ?
>
>  or as a workaround
>  add in the /etc/libmap.conf
>
>  libc.so.3                        libc.so
>  libm.so.3                       libm.so

>  that is every shared library it complains add it to
>  the /etc/libmap.conf

	That can work.
	On the other hand, there's no guarantee the ABI - never mind
the internal operation - of any function will remain constant across
a major version bump.  (As far as I know.)
	The safe way is to update/rebuild against current libs;
failing that, to install the compat?x package.

					Robert Huff