Manual updates

Paulette McGee paulette_mcgee at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 15:41:41 UTC 2007

--- "illoai at gmail.com" <illoai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/03/07, Paulette McGee
> <paulette_mcgee at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > --- Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.gdynia.pl>

> > > manual/handbook is not great in detail,
> this
> > > questions list for a lot
> > >
> > > what's missing? i think it's quite detailed
> . . .
> > Yes, the handbook is quite detailed; however there
> are
> > somethings missing.  Not to start a flame war;
> these
> > are just a few thoughts and they are in my humble
> > opinion.
> . . .
> > 1) Update ports
> >  1a) CVS
> >  2b) portsnap
> > 2) Build INDEX (depends on the tool; identify
> tools).
> > Also what are the pro's and con's of obtaining the
> > index from the methods listed below.
> >  2a) "make index"
> >  2b) "make fetchindex"
> >  2c) portsdb -Uu
> > 3) Use Tool 'X' to update / upgrade your ports
> . . .
> > Now, one other issue; off the top of my head:
> > pkgtools.conf.  How does pkgtools.conf interact
> with
> > the makefile in their respective ports directory?
> > 1) Does it completely override it?
> > 2) Does if it take a diff between the two and
> build
> > the app?
>
> portsdb is part of portupgrade, not at all part of
> the base system.  Similarly, pkgtools.conf, being
> located in /usr/local/etc/ is used by portupgrade
> (and another ports management tool?) which is
> not at all part of the base system.  portupgrade
> has quite a bit of documentation on its use, but
> I am not certain how this third party ruby script
> dovetails with a discussion of the (de)merits of
> FreeBSD's handbook.  Obviously with enough
> time and effort a complete set of documents for
> 6.2 could be compiled and vetted for accuracy,
> although just like the current handbook and
> other documentation, it would fall out of date
> exactly as fast as new code would be added.
> Keeping up to date with third party applications
> (ruby scripts!) would exacerbate rather than
> ameliorate this effect.
>
> --
> --

Hello illoai,

With respect to you statement: My reply was how the
handbook could be improved for new users.  Nothing in
the world is perfect; and if the FreeBSD experience
can be improved for users, I am all for it.  I did a
little writing and was hoping for feed back so
eventually I could submit that information back to the
doc project.

"portupgrade has quite a bit of documentation on its
use, but  I am not certain how this third party ruby
script  dovetails with a discussion of the (de)merits"

The topic at hand was improving documentation and I
put in my .02 cents worth when a question was posed.
Perhaps this discussion should take place on another
mailing list.  But this discussion may add some
interest of the skilled users on this list to
potentially contribute.  So, there may be a positive
to this dovetail.  :-)

As it stands the FreeBSD Handbook is a great piece of
documentation.  In my humble opinion it can be better;
and I am more than willing to spend the time.

"although just like the current handbook and  other
documentation, it would fall out of date exactly as
fast as new code would be added."

Portupgrade has been part of the upgrade (system
admin) process for quite some time and the process of
upgrading ports has been somewhat consistent over
time.  All I would like to see is the process
identified for updating software.  The topic of
installing software and updating software is
important; and should be expounded upon.  Just my
humble opinion.  As I stated:  This topic should be
carried out on another list.

Regards,
Paulette McGee