gcc internal error on buildkernel

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Mar 12 04:16:21 UTC 2007

Hello,

After changing my make.conf to list my CPUTYPE as c3 on my

  VIA C3 Nehemiah (999.52-MHz 686-class CPU)

system.  I did a cvsup for /usr/src tag=RELENG_6_2 and successfully
did a

   make buildworld
and
   make installworld

I then thought that with my newly compiled tools tuned for the
processor in my box, I should rebuild my kernel.  I made no changes
to my kernel configuration file since my previous successful build a
week and a half ago.  However, now when I recompile the kernel, I get
an internal compiler error from gcc.  I rebooted the  system and
tried to build the kernel again, but got the same error.

The last bit of the make output is

 >>> stage 2.3: build tools
cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DOBBY;  MAKESRCPATH=/usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/
aicasm  make -DNO_CPU_CFLAGS -f /usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aicasm/Makefile
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/obj/usr/src/
sys/DOBBY
cc -O -pipe -nostdinc -I/usr/include -I. -I/usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/
aicasm  -c /usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aicasm/aicasm.c
/usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aicasm/aicasm.c: In function `main':
/usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aicasm/aicasm.c:308: internal compiler
error: Illegal instruction: 4
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DOBBY.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

The full script of the make is at

  http://ntp0.goldmark.org/temp/kernelbuild.log

the output of dmesg is at

  http://ntp0.goldmark.org/temp/dmesg

A copy of my make.conf is at

  http://ntp0.goldmark.org/temp/make.conf

And a copy of my kernel configuration file is at

  http://ntp0.goldmark.org/temp/DOBBY

Any clues or suggestions would be most welcome.

-j