OpenSSH Problem with disconnects

Norbert Papke fbsd-ml at scrapper.ca
Sun Mar 11 21:21:59 UTC 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 09:52, Alexander Schlichting wrote:
> I am having a big problem with the OpenSSH Daemon on my server. Whenever I
> am connected to the server and the connection is idle for a few seconds it
> gets disconnected. It's almost impossible to work from remote on the server
> when the connection is always getting dropped.

It is likely related to something in your network path dropping the connection
when it is idle.  Try the following in your server's /etc/ssh/sshd_config
file.

ClientAliveInterval 30
ClientAliveCountMax  10

Note that TCP keep-alives usually don't help in this situation because their
interval is too large.

Cheers.

-- Norbert.