polling my FreeBSD compariots...

Paulette McGee paulette_mcgee at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 19:24:50 UTC 2007

--- Jonathan Horne <freebsd at dfwlp.com> wrote:

> ive been a KDE user for as long as i can remember.
> this week, im off from
> work, and want to spend some time trying something
> new with my laptop.  so
> far i have it built with 6.2-RELEASE-p2, and xorg up
> to the minimal desktop.
>
> id like to try to try something thats not gnome, or
> basically id like to try
> some of the lesser known, but still just as
> functional desktops.
>
> can i get some recommendations, as well as what
> graphical mail reader and web
> browser works best with your recommendation?
>
> thanks,
> jonathan

Hello Jonathan,
Here are a few questions:
1) Are you looking for a Desktop Environment (DE)?
2) Are you looking for a Window Manager (WM)?

Here is a little blurb that describes the differences:
http://xwinman.org/intro.php

The above site also has a very comprehensive list of
both DE's and WM's.  Basically; decide if you want a
very integrated environment or something less
integrated .

Personally; I prefer WM's over DE's.  From that point;
I select the applications that I want on my system.
WM are basically very streamlined with few utilities
(if any).  Contrast that with Gnome or KDE; which come
with an array of support tools (IE: browsers, file
managers, printer configuration tools, system
utilities, et al).

In essence; it is a matter of choice.  My vote is for
Fluxbox (WM).

PS: Keep in mind that some lines blur with DE and WMs.
 In my humble opinion some WM have a DE feel to them.
explore the above link and see what strikes a chord.

Regards,
Paulette McGee