Tool for validating sender address as spam-fighting technique?

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Sun Mar 11 13:02:37 UTC 2007

for what it's worth, I would suggest *not* adopting this
as an anti-spam technique.

Sender-address verification is _bad_ as an anti-spam technique, in my
opinion.  Basically, there's one obvious response for spammers looking to
evade it -- use "real" sender addresses. Where's an easy place to find
real addresses? On the list of target addresses they're spamming!

Hence, the spam recipients now get twice as much mail from each spam run
-- spam aimed at them, *and* bounce blowback from hundreds of spams aimed
at others, forged to appear to be from them.  It's the obvious response to
SAV, which is one reason why we never implemented something like that in
SpamAssassin.

--j.