limitiation on memory allocation

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Fri Mar 9 19:44:51 UTC 2007

Dima,

Not all the settings there are tuneable.  In 6.X the allowable memory is
somewhat automatic based on the max users.  Your kernel is set to 384.  You
can try changing that.

You can also make some kernel settings in:
/boot/loader.conf

You can see the possible variables to set in:
/boot/defaults/loader.conf

I think the one variable you may want to change is:
kern.maxdsiz="to your actual real memory size"
Don't make this larger than the real memory, in my experience that will
cause the system to not boot properly into multi-user.

         -Derek

At 11:06 AM 3/9/2007, Dima Sorkin wrote:
>Hi.
>I've passed over the man page and even over the "man 3" page.
>What exactly should I look for ?
>
>Thank you.
>Dima.
>
>output of 'sysctl -a' is attached.
>

>On 3/9/07, Derek Ragona <derek at computinginnovations.com> wrote:
>>
>>  check out your sysctl values.
>>  man sysctl
>>  for more information.
>>
>>          -Derek
>>

>>  At 08:32 AM 3/9/2007, Dima Sorkin wrote:
>>
>>Hi.
>>
>>  On FreeBSD 6.2 i386 with 2GB of physical memory I can't allocate
>>  more than 500Mb for my program.
>
>--
>believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.