Epson P2100 parallel port mode

Milan Knizek knizek at volny.cz
Fri Mar 9 19:25:59 UTC 2007

Hello list!

I have spent some time installing Epson P2100 (aka P2200 in the U.S.) - the
USB connection did not work (printer was recognised, but any access to it
caused only a quick double-tick of the printing head and nothing more). The
good thing was that it supports also the parallel connection.

Once connected via /dev/lpt0, the printer worked, but printed _very_ slowly
(and /var/log/messages announced irq storm on irq7).

A search on google revealed that it is possible to switch the port mode
to "extended polling" by command "lptcontrol -e -d /dev/lpt0". Then, the
printer worked normally.

"ltpcontrol" supports only connected (and powered on) printers, which is
usually not the case during boot, and it must be run with root privileges.

My question: how do I set the default port mode to "extended polling" instead
of "iterrupt driven" during the boot process?

Thanks for ideas,
Milan

P.S.
6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386 on ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe with Pentium D.

dmesg:
ppc0: <ECP parallel printer port> port 0x378-0x37f,0x778-0x77f irq 7 drq 3 on
acpi0
ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/9 bytes threshold
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port